Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act
Coronavirus Relief Fund
Under the CARES Act, the Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) is to be used to make payments for specified uses to states and local governments. The total CRF funding allocated to the state of Texas is approximately $11 billion. The U.S. Treasury managed the initial distribution of these funds to states and jurisdictions with populations above 500,000. These 18 Texas jurisdictions (Austin, Bexar County, Collin County, Dallas County, Dallas, Denton County, El Paso County, El Paso, Fort Bend County, Fort Worth, Harris County, Hidalgo County, Houston, Montgomery County, San Antonio, Tarrant County, Travis County and Williamson County) received their allocation of the $11 billion directly from the Treasury.
CRF Funding Breakdown
Texas Received: $11.24 billion
Texas Jurisdictions w/Direct U.S. Treasury Payments (Populations 500,000+): $3.2 billion
Texas Jurisdictions (Not receiving direct U.S. Treasury Payments): $1.85 billion
All allocations are population based with the largest funding amounts going to those jurisdictions with the largest populations.
|What do I do if I am…?|
|One of the 18 jurisdictions receiving funds direct from the U.S. Treasury?||Your jurisdiction should have received funds. No further action is necessary.|
|A jurisdiction that did not receive a direct payment from the U.S. Treasury but located in a county that DID receive a direct payment?||Please work with your county for CRF funding.|
|A jurisdiction that did not receive a direct payment from the U.S. Treasury and located in a county that DID NOT receive a direct payment?||The county judge or mayor must review, sign and submit the Terms and Conditions and certification documents below. The 20% payment will be processed as soon as this documentation is received.|
The state is now making funds available for eligible expenses to the jurisdictions not included in the 18 jurisdictions listed above. Distribution of funds is based on a calculation of $55 per capita.
The Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) will manage the distribution of funds, review of expenses and reimbursement. Initially, each eligible jurisdiction will receive an immediate distribution of 20 percent (20%) of the allocations listed in this document. The remainder of the allocation will be reimbursement based. Jurisdictions will submit documentation to TDEM and request reimbursement.
Under Section 601(a) of the Social Security Act, as added by section 5001 of the CARES Act, these funds may only be used to cover costs that:
- Are necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Were not accounted for in the budget most recently approved as of March 27, 2020 (the date of enactment of the CARES Act) for the state or government; and
- Were incurred during the period that begins on March 1, 2020, and ends on December 30, 2020.
Note: A cost is “incurred” when the responsible unit of government has expended funds to cover the cost.
- Medical expenses
- Public health expenses
- Payroll expenses for public safety, public health, health care, human services, and similar employees whose services are substantially dedicated to mitigating or responding to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Expenses of actions to facilitate compliance with COVID-19 related public health measures.
- Expenses associated with the provision of economic support in connection with the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Any other COVID-19 – related expenses reasonably necessary to the function of government that satisfy the fund’s eligibility criteria.
TO START THE PROCESS BY WHICH YOU RECEIVE YOUR INITIAL PAYMENT, THE COUNTY JUDGE OR MAYOR OF THE JURSIDICTION MUST REVIEW, AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND SIGN THE CERTIFICATION FORM. THIS SIGNED DOCUMENTATION MUST BE EMAILED TO CRF@TDEM.TEXAS.GOV OR UPLOADED BACK TO THIS WEBSITE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL CRF@TDEM.TEXAS.GOV.
Download and read the terms and conditions of the Coronavirus Relief Fund.
Download, fill out, and sign the attached CRF form.
Email the CRF form to CRF@TDEM.texas.gov